View Single Post
Old 06-18-2004, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
best
Don't get undies in a bunch

Till I started to look inside at ME, I didn't really grow at all. Once I came to realize how selfish my actions were (sober) is when I started to see growth. As stated in a post or two on other threads... I sorta did the steps backwards but in time I have done them all. My selfish actions changing, my commitment to God, and my desire to help others were the last things to change in my life. I feel they were the most important things for my growth.
Sober I was able to function in life. Sober, bitter, selfish, at times rude, stubborn, pigheaded, but alcohol free. No money losted due to overspending at bars or lost time at work. No hangovers. No DUIs. No magnification of the imperfections in my charactor. Still I was not being the best I could be for me, for my family, for my employer...or as big as you want to make the list.
Stopping the alcohol intake was/is only a part of what growth I needed.
I am so ever greatful to My Lord for the proverbial 2 by 4 cross the side of my head that woke me up to what was needed after the drinking stopped.
be it the steps, be it the bible, be it the guidance from God... I am so ever grateful for the growth that comes from looking inside of self and seeing where change is needed. Past 4 years have been the best 4 years of the 29 years married. With the changes.. I am sure my wife would even say the same.
I was a "piece of work" before the changes... Now I am a piece of His works and touch in my life. Thank You Lord