Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rexus

that is a bind

I have been exactly where you are. I can't suggest going to her what seems like highly dysfunctional family with your fears; I actually think it may do you more harm than good. As I said I have been exactly where you are. I tried for over a year to keep my best friend/ex afloat and subtly point out the error of her ways. I went so far as to take her into my home for a week to detox her. The problem was that it was my idea and not hers. She detoxed for the week and even went to a NA meeting on the last day with a friend of hers that had been in recovery for a number a years. She came out of that meeting balling her eyes out and on the ride home she even said "I'm not done yet" Well of course she slowly but surely got back into the pills and didn't hit her rock bottom for another seven months. Everyone’s bottom is different and hers ironically was a car accident that had absolutely nothing to do with the pills. But thankfully it was the trigger that started her on her path to recovery. It’s a long involved story and the details aren't important the key to what I am saying is no matter how much you will it or how much you do to attempt to help her none of it will do anything until she is willing to see it for herself. The only thing I can tell you is talk to her tell her what you see and feel and maybe it will strike a nerve and give her something to think about. My best friend has been clean for 173 days and though most everyone in her life has been there to love and support her its her battle and she has been doing a great job. I will tell you this when she does get on the path of recovery life doesn't actually get any easier its a totally new set of challenges. I will leave you with this one thought: If love and effort were the only thing necessary to get rid of this awful disease 95% of the people on this forum wouldn’t have to be here the addicts in their life would be instantly cured.