View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
DramaPrincess

Hi All,

I went to my local gourmet shop and purchased some very fancy cordials, lots of limes and lemons and Pellegrino (sp?) and plain soda water - I have had fun the last few nights mixing them up (blackberry and vanilla cordial was very nice) plus at the pub (my family always has meals at the pub) good old lemon lime and bitters (I know bitters is alcoholic but if kids drink it I'm sure I'm not about to go on a bender with it - plus it is so sweet I only have 1 - then my teeth hurt haha)

My biggest issue has been alcohol in cooking - I LOVE to cook especially french and itallian and they both use alot of wine, anyway, I have found verjuice is the perfect substitue for white wine and sanguvese (sp?) verjuice for red wine - it is basically the wine before fermentation therefore no alcohol (and you wouldn't want to drink it anyway - too sour!). In australia the Maggie Beer variety is available in supermarkets now but I'm not sure about the states or the UK - oh and apparently ginger ale can be used instead of beer but I have not tried that one!

hope this helps all you fellow foodies!