View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GiveLove

iwc,

What are your expectations with such a conversation? This is the crux of the question. What are you expecting to change as a result of having it?

If you truly have no expectations, then I believe in most relationships it is fine to be candid about one's feelings.

I can sense that you think this will be some sort of magic bullet though - we often try to drive home the point multiple times, thinking that the reason why they haven't stopped drinking is because they haven't heard us. It's the equivalent of shouting in a deaf person's face.

Part of the conversation, as you state it above, will be that his drinking is having and will have serious repercussions for your relationship.

But is that true? It appears that no matter what he does, you will still stay...this is what you've taught him. There are no repercussions other than a day off here or there.

He has already told you in very exact and precise language that he intends to continue drinking.

So.....unsure of whether this sort of conversation will have the desired effect, but since I've never been one to withhold information in relationships, I can't be the one to say "No! Don't tell him what you're feeling."