Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
angharad

Thanks Seeker and good luck to you. So I went to the first meeting and I've just got back. I got there early to sit in the car in the dark and watch the people go in then about 2 mins before the start I plucked up my courage and went in. It lasted 90 mins but didnt feel that long. If I'm honest the "holdy hands prayer" to close the meeting was the only thing religious and god mentioning about it.
There were 4 women and 11 men. Being 29 I was the youngest by about 10 years. But it was nice to hear everyone felt like i did. Some had been sober 4 years some only started today.
This is my day 4. I still feel like crap but a crap thats getting better. Shakes are going but sleep isn't coming easy still.

I will need a few days to reflect on the meeting to decide whether I will go back.

I did get the phone number of a very nice lady who kinda mummsied me (she was about 50 and had been sober 4 years yet still went to AA weekly). She has told me to ring whenever I want to, although im uncertain whether I want to burden a stranger with my problem. But she was helpful and supportive and in the end we had a bit of a laugh during fag break about how clever us alcoholics can be hiding it from people and still going to work the next day. She said in all her years drinking she had never been stopped by the police in the morning on her way to work! I thought neither have i! I would've definatley lost my licence!

Anyway on to day 5....hope for some sleep tonight.