View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi Lady Luck

Thanks for sharing your story. A couple of things leapt out at me from my own past...

So friends, I'm wondering ~ can I keep counting it forward as having 22 days since I didn't get sauced?
You can do whatever you want LL

I wouldn't - I made a commitment to give up alcohol - I have a history of always inevitably abusing it...of always self medicating things...if I drank, I would have broken that commitment....and I would be open to returning to the treadmill.

All it ever took for me to return to my normal drinking was a night or two of 'controlled' drinking to convince me I'd 'got' it.

Defining what exactly 'sauced' was would be problematic for me too, as I had a nasty habit of moving the goal posts depending on how much I'd drank at any given time.

I didn't get drunk and I wasn't craving it, but I had a dinner where it was going to come up as a "thing" if I didn't at least nurse a drink or two over time as I had partied with these industry folks many times before (yes, I realize that sounds off..."that's excatly the mind of an addict talking!", but I am being totally honest and sincere.)
I used to use this rationalisation too. It made perfect sense to me then.

Now I often wonder, if I was allergic to nuts and everyone was saying you must try the satay?...

Had my industry folks been cokeheads, would it have come up as a 'thing'? Would I have found it ok for me to take a line too?

But...I don't want to give you too hard a time

You'll find a lot of support here, and maybe the odd constructive challenge too...and I hope you take my post in that spirit.

It's great you decided to post and join us, Lady Luck

Welcome!
D