Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by DRI View Post
I just replied to another thread where a poster was saying that just being at an AA meeting made her want to drink even more when she got home. And I have to admit, since I've read this forum over the last 2 days since I made this thread, it's had an odd effect on me.

For whatever reason, I've been thinking about it much more over the last 2 days, and it's left a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach, for lack of a better explanation. So I was wondering if AA meeting are for everyone? Because so far it seems like the more I read about drinking and think about it, the harder it is to just put it out of my mind.
Alcoholism is the big liar. It's forever creating an illusion about your life which enables you to continue to feed it its drug.

If you are an alcoholic then you are either drinking, thinking about drinking or thinking about not drinking. Whichever of the three, the one constant is drinking or alcohol.

So to think that by going to an AA meeting or reading here on SR conjures up a thought in your head about "alcohol" which you would never have thought otherwise, is a big lie.

Alcohol is "cunning, baffling and powerful" and will do anything and everything to trick you into drinking.

If AA meetings caused people to drink who wouldn't want to if they hadn't gone, then AA would have died out a long time ago because everyone would be in the bars or at home getting drunk.

Take care. Keep coming back.