View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
OneLastChance

I went for a long time before and didn't get a sponsor. And like I mentioned, I did and then just stopped after time away from the program.

I have yet to start sharing at meetings but just sitting there looking all solem and ****. I have to stick out like a sore thumb because everyone else is chatting it up and getting on with being friends.

I'm planning on doing exactly as my sponsor says and not deviate from it.

Now when you say see a doc, you mean like a medical doc? If so, I'm currently out of work thus no insurance so I can't afford a visit but I can tell you pretty much what its going to say -- "Your liver functions indicate you need to stop drinking now."

I'm reading through a few of the threads on this page and wonder if anyone else was told to quit because of a doctor's visit? To be honest, I know I'd put those I love intpo the position to approach me about my problem but the doc beat me to it.

Plus my wife opened the letter from his office and so she fuh-reaked out.

Also, in terms of a job - I had always drank but it escalated bigtime when I started working in the automotive sales business. My friend who's uncle owns a large dealership got me on and I spent 6 plus years there. Problem with that was he always - every night - wanted a drinking buddy and I didn't have to pay for anything. We'd just tell our wives we had business and stay late.

As I've said, I left there in jan 09 on my own and have bounced around quite a bit but I still had the habit of drinking after work, gas stations on the way home sell 16 oz beer on ice for .99 and I knew the route like the back of my hand. So, to my question:

I can go back to that job at the same dealership if I choose. My wife has serious, serious issues with it because she knows what went on in those years but as I've said to her before, I have been away from there for a year now and I'm in the same shape.

I could get insurance there and a company vehicle but what about the influences? I mentioned to her I thought that if I told everyone there, bosses and co-workers I cared to let know, that I was an alcoholic and was in a program trying to get straight. Also, let them know my medical situation and maybe that would ease some of the things I delt with before.

I told my friend about the diagnosis and he was pretty much like "sucks to be you." "I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't drink beer." and so on.

But, my bills are piling up and the free time is dealing me fits. I believe I can make a good living there because of the support (business-wise) and because I built a business there and I've proven that its ME WHO DRINKS not whrere I am.

The biggest plus is the AA meeting I started with and seem to be the most confortable is right across the street and I could got every day.

But "if you spend enough time in a barbershop, you're bound to get a haircut."

What do you think?