Old 02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Nyte Byrd

Originally Posted by DRI View Post

I just replied to another thread where a poster was saying that just being at an AA meeting made her want to drink even more when she got home.

So I was wondering if AA meeting are for everyone?
And my guess is, it is a poster who has probably only attended perhaps one or two AA meetings. I have met many people who tell me they 'tried' AA. And when I asked them how many meetings they went to, they tell me about six in a year. Hate to say it, but that is not exactly 'trying' anything. That's why they suggest 90 meetings in 90 days, or at least attend 'enough' meetings to decide for yourself if it is for you.

No, AA is not for everyone perhaps. But neither is sobriety. It certainly is not for wimps either. Realize, it is a 'thinking' problem, not really a 'drinking' problem anyway. It was our 'best' thinking that got us where we did. And it is our thinking that has to change. Not just our drinking needs to stop.

As they say, 'the same man will drink again.'

So, your choice. You can listen to a poster who applied contempt prior to true investigation in even giving AA a chance, and abandon AA as an opt because of one person's probable predisposed negativity, or you can listen to the hundreds more on this forum alone who have applied AA in their lives who can give true and honest testimony regarding the positive results in their lives.

Again, the best to you.