Old 02-13-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
qwe

Suggestions re Al-Anon sponsorship, please!

Hello,

New here, but already so grateful for the welcoming comments and helpful insights.

I have been going to Al-Anon since the beginning of Feb. I "blitzed" the first week, going to 7 meetings in 6 days. Then chose two groups that I felt most comfortable in to continue going. I've just started to participate in regular groups vs the newcomer groups and am learning to share. Not the easiest since last week's one topic was anger. I could write a novella on that.

Here are my questions, to which I'd appreciate your thoughts:

- how long after joining Al-Anon is it appropriate to look for a sponsor?
- what are the key qualities in a sponsor I should look for to hopefully have a good fit (ie should they have same background in experience, age, personality, or is it better to go with differences)? I am a pretty opinionated, assertive, not easy to push around person, who likes to discuss ideas/concepts so that I feel I really understand without just "accepting" them. (which just makes me being co-dependent & having lived in the insanity of an AH just baffling...)
- should I get a sponsor at this time? The two groups I'm attending are daytime groups. I am in the midst of a job search, and once I find one I will need to find a new evening group; right now I'm trying to minimize the time away from my kids while I still can.
- any other things I should consider?

Thank you!