View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I got to the point where I knew drinking would lead to my death, directly or indirectly, so I had had to find other ways of dealing with the stuff that made me drink.

With guilt I had to learn that what's done is done - I can't affect or change the past no matter how I want to...but I can go a long way to atoning for past mistakes, and dealing with guilt and shame, by doing things right from now on. Drinking on guilt only feeds the guilt.

With anger - I was lucky...I met a great woman who makes me laugh. You can't be angry when you laugh. When she's not here, I ride it out - I go for a walk, I play my guitar - I ride it out...I do anything but drink on it.

If your anxiety and depression are severe I encourage you to see a Dr or therapist. Self medicating either with alcohol just makes them worse - and I speak from 20 years experience.

As I dealt with these things more and more in a sober way, I found them all easier to deal with as I got more 'practice' - all still happen (guilt not so much) but I ride them out ok and I don't feel the compulsive trigger sensation anymore

Keep it up lonelyranger

D