Thread: Therapy?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mirage

When I first decided I needed to take a good look at my drinking, I went to a therapist. I only went once, though. She pretty much told me I was bored and I needed to fill my life with more things (now that my kids are getting older and not needing me every second.) She also said AA probably wasn't for me...that a lot of the people there had hard core drinking problems. (Guess she didn't think 6-8 beers 4-5 times a week was hard core enough. ha.) She was probably right about the boredom, but I don't think you should deter people from AA..how "extreme" someone's drinking is, shouldn't be relevant.

I'm the same in that I have no real problems...but this one, of course. I've concluded for me, that more than needing therapy, I need to break the habit and the obsessive thinking. I think a recovery program would help with this more. I'd never advise someone not to go, though. We need to do whatever works and try a bunch of stuff! Good luck!

(Oh, and I'm quite sure my husband doesn't want me to totally quit, either. I'm sure he wishes I could just stop drinking alone, on nights when there's really no reason to be doing so. The problem is, my "social" drinking eventually leads to doing just that. Bummer.)