Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Eroica

People who murder and rape have a similar effect with dopamine on their brain, so why don't we classify their behavior as an addiction? Are they mudering because they can't cope with life? No, they're bad people because they're of sound mind yet they just don't care. Yes, I agree that we repeat behaviors we enjoy, but its natural, because its going on in our bodies. No foreign toxic substance is introduced. Stimulants and narcotics release huge (like a million times more) amounts of dopamine into our brain-making it near impossible to stop. Even if we ate or f*cked all day, the brain wouldnt go through tolerance and dependence the way it does with drugs.

People who cheat on their partners want to absolved of their morally bad choices by saying "I'm addicted to sex". This makes a mockery of real drug dependence. Self help gurus want to define addiction as broadly as possible, to include anyone with "resentments" or any problem. Once someone is diseased, then they'll helplessly buy up any "cures" that the author has in his books.

I'm troubled that we'll eventually get to the point where you can do whatever you want, then cry addiction to garner sympathy. "I beat up my wife, I'm addicted!" or "I molest little boys. I have a disease". No, you just have no personal moral compass or you're a sociopath. In essence, you're a bad seed, not diseased.

And the fallout from being codependent (another scientific-sounding word that was not arrived at scientifically) is not the same as fallout from drug addiction, at least in my opinion. Everyone has problems and everyone has to deal with "love" at one point or another (or you can avoid it, but I'm single and I want a boyfriend), but that doesnt mean everyone is diseased either. Who's normal then? lol

I guess you all can believe that they're all the same, but dont expect me to agree with you or to "support" the way you identify yourself.