View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a fallen man

150+ days...it is great!!!

i'm over 150 now and will hit 5 months on the 8th.

i am constantly amazed at how much clearer i am thinking. i've quit 2 times before. one time for 105 days and another for 58 days. this is the longest i've gone in 9 years of very hard drinking. pretty much everything but hardcore vodka drinker the last 5 years.

i so appreciate going to bed sober. i haven't vomited in over 150 days. it was pretty much an everyday occurrence whilst drinking. nobody would ever miss that.

i've saved a ton of money.

on february 20th i'll be going to nicaragua with a medical/dental mission group for a week. i used to do this all the time at least once a year.

once i started drinking heavily it went by the wayside. number one...the group i went with is very strict so there is no drinking on the trips. i couldn't go without for one day so no way i could go. number 2 i didn't have the money as it was going for the vodka.

many times i'd look at my photos and long for a trip but knew i couldn't commit to it because i loved my vodka more than helping others.

i check in here daily but very rarely write. i truly am not bragging about my sober time. i just wanted to let any newcomer know i was EXACTLY where they were 5 months ago.

i honestly am nobody special. i won't lie. it was very hard at first. it is getting easier every day. about a week ago on a sunday i did have an 'urge' to drink. it lasted for a few minutes and that was it.

i haven't had one all week.

i hurt for the younger ones that have a social life developed around going out. i don't have that in my way of temptation as i am 50 and pretty much a homebody....heck..that's where i did my drinking tho...so it was my own bar.

i'm blown away at how much better my mind is working. i have always been above average intelligence and it has blessed me in everything from work to just managing things. that had been dulled in my drinking. i got by but i'm doing so much better work now it's unreal.

i am not saying that in any arrogance at all. i truly am a humble man. it's just amazing what you're missing when drinking. you think you're getting by and the same mentally but when you look back you know you were only half the person you should be.

and i truly owe it to this place. i thank all of the old timers for being here every day to welcome the new person that is hurting. i thank all of the newcomers that chime in and want 'some of that'.

sorry this is so long but i don't share that often and feel that i owe it. if it helps one person say 'i can do it if he can' then it accomplished what is intended.

david.