View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR bluegrl, I am an alcoholic & until I wanted to quit I kept drinking for many years!

I had the love of my life as my wife and 6 beautiful childen & a grandchild that was awesome as well.

My entire family spent many years begging me to quit, my wife threatened me many times with leaving and I just tried to hide what I could no longer hide better.

When I quit, I quit for me, my wife was in the process of moving out with the younger kids, no one wanted a darn thing to do with me mainly because I had brought them to much pain over the years in more ways then one can imagine.

I can honestly say that I loved them all enough to sacrifice my life for any of them, but I could not stop drinking for them!

When I reached the point where I fully conceded to my inner most self that I was nothing but a drunk who managed to hold on to his job, a drunk who had lost my very heart & sole I finally REALLY wanted to quit!

I could not quit for ANYONE or ANYTHING............. Until I reached the point where I wanted to quit more then I wanted to drink.

Most folks I know in long term recovery share a similar story, they drank/drugged until they had had enough, not when they found the perfect person, place, or thing to quit for.