View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FindingPeace1

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
For about a year after I separated from my AH, I was angry at alcohol. It had taken away my husband, my dreams, the life I so desperately wanted. I couldn't stand to be around it in any way, shape or form for awhile.

After some time, I found I could tolerate going for drinks after work with friends, or to a dinner or party where there was alcohol. I still didn't want any myself, but I wasn't too angry to even be around it anymore. These days, I enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail on occasion.

So, my anger at alcohol has diminished, but I still am quite uncomfortable being around anyone who is more than a little buzzed. If I find myself in that situation, I remove myself quickly.

What I'm saying is, maybe you don't have to have a "line in the sand" kind of boundary that you announce to your friend. Maybe you only need to discuss that with yourself, and make sure you remove yourself from any situation that you are not comfortable with. No explanation needed.

L
I found everyone's input so helpful!

I get in your question, "What's the RIGHT thing to do?"

LTD's post showed a progression of feelings and action, which I really appreciate.

I am still learning (and reminding myself) that we can only be where we are at. I say that because I will do this thing where I say, "How SHOULD I feel/do about this? What would be the HEALTHY thing to feel/do in this situation?" Then I judge my current feeling/action based on what I THINK I SHOULD feel or do or try to FORCE myself to be where I think I SHOULD be. Aaaacckk!

This thread is a great reminider - we can only be where we are an that is where we should be. (what do they say about what you tell others, you really need to tell yourself? I'm telling myself!) If you want to be around drinkers - that's okay. If it weirds you out, that's okay. If heavy drinking feels bad - that's okay, too.

Trust your gut.

Hugs,

w