View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

bookwyrm's post made me think of one more thing related to this.

Since starting on my own Recovery, I have made concerted effort in all areas of my life to say what I mean and mean what I say. All of my life there were back-handed comments and subtle name-calling and innuendos and head-games and just plain BS from all the alcoholics and addicts I had come to know and love.

As I have grown, I have become more direct than probably some others may be comfortable with. I have learned as I've aged to not ever assume that anyone else can read my mind and, therefore, it is up to me to ask for what I want. A person in denial would likely not enjoy a conversation with me. I'm clumsy socially to begin with (see previous post), add to that ACOA, and now over-40 and that doesn't leave much inclination toward using soft, pretty words. I won't ever apologize for telling the truth because I lived in non-reality for much too long and have thickened my skin since learning how to face myself head-on.

If a poster "can't take it" on SR, that is all the more reason for them to go to Al-Anon where face-to-face is much softer and gentler than typed words from complete strangers who you will likely never meet. I'm certain NO ONE on here has ever purposely set out to hurt someone else; at least not in the posts I've read.