Thread: Feeling scared
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
coffeedrinker

Sunshine,

One of the "steps" that must be taken, in AA/A-Anon type work, is to "believe in a power greater than yourself." Frankly, most people think of this HP as it is sometimes referred to, as God. However, it does not have to be. DOES NOT HAVE TO BE. My father is quite a spiritual man, coming to it rather late in life (spent years as an Athiest). He would use the spiritual energy that is all around us as his, I personally think of the power greater than myself as more than just one thing, but primarily, I think that it is the AA Program itself, manifested in all the thousands of people that belong to it, either here with us, or those who have gone before. Because IT IS THEM that I follow, learn from, and from which receive sustanance. Their power is in their knowledge, and the work that they have done.

Some of those groups are much more "God oriented" than others, some are even called "Christian AA" and such. It's in there, but it's not an absolute requirement.

If you search through some of the threads here you will find some that relate directly to what you are asking, but that's my two cents!