Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
pitario

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
it is often recommended that a newly sober person focus solely on himself and learning to live a sober life, process feelings, make ammends, etc, for one year prior to dating/being in a relationship.

if you can't quite bear to kick him to the curb just now, tell him that in order for you to feel like you two have a chance at something real, he needs to get up on that wagon, and stay on it for one year, then he can call you up and ask you out. this strategy does a few things: for one, he can't argue with you (or lie) saying "i'm sober now!".

i got a hundred bucks says he either won't call you, or you won't answer.
Funny you mention about living sober for a year. He brought this up the other night and said because of his age he didn't want to wait the year. Yes, this raised yet another flag with me. I told him that AA has been around longer than he has been an alcoholic and I figure they know what they are talking about. He still begged to differ. I have spent a lot of time thinking about our next conversation and I had figured I was going to say something along your lines.

I believe he will call, he has never not phoned me when he said he would. At least he was reliable for that. You are probably right about my not answering though. Every time the phone rings my daughter answers it, besides I wouldn't do that to him. He needs to know where he stands.