Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
pitario

Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post
This is a great boundary. When are you going to start enforcing it? Because so far, you have excepted drunken behavior and continuous relapses.

Maybe you can give him the dignity and space to let him get his life in order. It doesn't sound like he's capable of a healthy relationship right now. If he's going to get better, he needs to be able to focus all his energy on his recovery. Right now he doesn't have much to offer you. Anyone can be nice when they aren't drunk. But that's not enough to base a mutually satisfying, healthy, loving relationship on.

It just doesn't sound like he'd make a great stepfather for your daughter. Ewww...

You didn't cause it. You can't control it. You can't cure it. He is who he is. And he has been that way for a really long time.

Is that good enough for you?
Yes that's good enough for me. The relapses only started at Christmas time so I haven't tolerated it for that long really. I immediately put things in place so as not to enable him, unfortunately they haven't worked. Each time he relapses, which is a total of 4 times, I have uped the auntie. The fourth relapse brought me here. I believe he knows what is going to happen, then again maybe not, he said he would give me a few days to calm down. I immediately told him not to be surprised if it would take longer than that.

I will talk to him when he phones, I have no interest in phoning him and that is the only reason I am waiting for him to call. I will do everything in my power to let him walk away with his dignity and space. I am not out to make him feel any worse than I'm sure he already does. I do not hate him nor do I dislike him but I will not subject myself, or my daughter, to this when I know we can survive without him.