Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by AlonebutHopeful View Post
Thank you everyone for your kind replies. As I stated before, I do not want to go where there's a chance I would be not welcomed. And I am 100% positive that AA would not be a safe place for my tender feelings.

So, NA it is. And I am ok with that. I will make something work. As for those in AA who would resent my presence, I understand where you are coming from. But I would also like to point out that some of us wouldn't know we were being offensive and to go a little light on those who might not have found the right place to ask for help.
You are ABSOLUTELY welcome to go to an open meeting to LISTEN and look for someone there that can help you, many addicts and duel addicted attend open meetings, there is a good chance to find one that has worked the steps and can help you

And I am 100% positive that AA would not be a safe place for my tender feelings.
This is without ever attending a meeting?

I'd suggest going to an open meeting and asking for help before making any unjustified sweeping statements that you have absolutely no experience with.

AA is absolutely a safe place for tender feelings, it's not too safe for drugalogues though, there is a difference.

As for those in AA who would resent my presence
No one in AA would "resent your presence" at an open meeting, that's what they are there for, some however might resent if you started sharing long tedious drugalogues and blow by blow accounts of your trials and tribulations at group level.

Many new people mistake AA for group therapy, which it isn't, an AA meetings primary purpose is there to carry the message to the alcoholic that is still suffering. Don't whine, blather or tell drugalogues at group level and you will be fine.

It's not a matter of "resenting your presence" it's a matter of respecting the house you are in, and if You go to an AA meeting, there should be no confusion, it even has the word Alcoholic in the title, it is a meeting by alcoholics, for alcoholics.

Open meetings non alcoholics are welcome to attend and listen. That is why they are called "open", that is their purpose, to allow "outsiders" and "possible alcoholics", and spouses of alcoholics to view the process, the resentment comes when non alcoholics and non-members with not even a nodding acquaintance with the twelve steps start using the meeting as their personal dumping ground for things no one wants to hear about.

That is where the confusion comes from, it's not that outsiders aren't welcome, it's just "shares" should be limited to alcoholism and the recovery thereof, either for those who don't know to ask for help, or those that do know, to offer the solution.

It's not group therapy, the meetings are a vehicle to reach new people, and for new people to specifically ask for help, not a venue for new people to spew blather.