View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dothi

Originally Posted by starrynite View Post
She still has to live with and learn to accept the fact that my exah is inconsistent and may or may not show up...that at this point she is more mature and able to make better decisions than he is. And that her little brother is confused and she's the person he's running to when things don't make sense and he needs advice.
First, you are doing very well in providing her with many options for support. Your daughter is very lucky that way.

But unfortunately, your daughter is still dealing with the world of adult responsibility that she's had to embrace now that she's more grown up than dad. Her brother depending on her rather than dad also puts adult pressure on her. This is all putting A LOT on your daughter's mind - where is her break from it? Maybe that's why the counselling isn't working for her right now. She can always go back later if she feels the need arise.

The problem is already acknowledged, there is no more denial, so what about time or activities to get a break from thinking about the shi**y alcoholism business. Like GiveLove suggested, sports or something physically involved can be very mentally soothing. As a young adult I'm still processing a lot of anger over alcoholism in my family, and physical activity has been a great outlet for it