Thread: Sponsor/Friend
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bdiddy5522

Sponsor/Friend

I just wanted to ask that if any of you have some extra time, please pray for my sponsor/friend/mentor. He was diagnosed with cancer about 4 months ago. I have been sober 78 days, and this man is responsible. However if you ask him, he had nothing to do with it. Imagine that. But he picked me up at my house for my first meeting, took me to his house to talk and to supper before the meeting, and to coffee after the first meeting. He volunteered to be my sponsor knowing his time on earth is limited. He called me every couple days to check on me, even though he was the one who was sick. He took time to spend with ME, even though he has a wife and kids of his own.

Anyways, he is in the hospital in the ICU getting ready to give God a big bear hug very soon. He literally has saved my life, and a piece of this man's heart is left with me and literally hundreds of other people who are now sober because of this man. He saved my life, and there is nothing I can do to save his. All i can do is what he would want and that is to carry the gift he has given me to others that need it.

May God bless a true angel! 30+ years ob sobriety, and he made it through this whole battle for his life without picking up a drink. If he can look death in the eyes and not see a reason to drink, what in the world would make us think we need to do it?