Thread: About me
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kmber2010

Luis, I so hear what you are saying and in my case because cutting back or weaning off the bottle didn't work....I would just go back and drink heavier and heavier amounts.

How did I start my recovery? Just quit. Plain and simple quit. I know what alcohol does to a person and I knew that I would continue to hurt my husband to where he would be miserable and leave me, never fulfill my goal to be a teacher, alienate and aggravate friends/family (none who really know that I am an alcoholic) and I would end up dead from overdosing on the bottle. Literally drinking myself to death in a binge.

My advice is to not so much look around at what you have now but imagine what you can have without addiction running and controlling your life. I was a functioning alcoholic but never attained anything once I started being a slave to the bottle and at the age of 35, I was starting my life all over again but not by my choice but by the choices and lifestyle I was leading as a drunk.

You are on track and when you are ready and sick of the addiction then you will take the plunge and stop. You have all of us at SR routing for you and there are plenty of support groups out there as you are not alone.

God Bless