Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RacerX

hi humble!

I have told my family and also my very close friends. Yes, I was nervous beyond belief at first but, once done, I felt like a HUGE weight had been lifted from me. The outpouring of love and support has also been such a huge blessing and a reinforcement in my early sobriety.

Please note, however, that I've only told those that are the very closest to and whom I know want the absolute very best for me. My fear was not that I would isolate myself but that everyone would be extremely dissapointed in me, consider me 'branded', etc. For me, that couldn't have been further from the truth! I've received nothing but hugs and encouragement.

Another thing I've noticed. It's obviously not easy placing ourselves 'out there' as it is very humbling to do so. That said, I've noticed that I'm now receiving a lot of "Well, now that you've told me your stuff, let me tell you what I'm struggling with..." kind of responses.

It's been really cool because it's kind of like being vulnerable with someone gives them permission to be vulnerable with you.

That's been my experience, FWIW.

RacerX