View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lostmyway

Well, I'm not the best person to be giving advice on this, but here is my situation, and I'm sure you'll be able to relate.

I'm pretty sure my husband is an alcoholic and just won't admit it. Of course, it's not for me to decide whether he is or isn't. That's on him. But I have a strong feeling.

Our situations differ in that you are your partner are both in recovery. I am in recovery and my partner is not. It is not impossible to become sober when you are living with an alcoholic, but it is not easy. Your pain comes when you see your partner struggle or regress. My pain comes when I see that my husband is still suffering.

My relationship with my husband is a separate issue than my alcoholism. Frankly I could take him or leave him, but we have two children together and it's not that easy to just pick up and go. So we coexist peacefully.

The important thing here (with the exception of my children, of course) is that I COME FIRST. I won't sacrifice my sobriety for him. To a degree this means living separate lives, but that is necessary at this point in time.

The bottom line: if your partner is a threat to your sobriety, you do need to set boundaries. Take care of yourself first.