View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
teke
grateful rca

Originally Posted by Needsomechge View Post
I am trying to supportive and make sure his credit card bills are paid, he doesn't default on his student loans, his utilities get shut off, end his lease, store his car- take care of his entire life so he can spend the next 10 months recovering (his parents don't have the money, not that I do, but they are way worse off than I am) Now I am wondering why I am even doing it?!?
hi, welcome to sr. glad you found us but hate the circumstance. first, i'm sorry about your brother, i do understand how you must miss him. l lost my little brother to addiction a few yrs back.

i agree with ann on this one. i'm curious to know, why are you "taking care of his entire life"? this is his responsiblity, right? i've been in rehab myself a few times, and i HAD to figure out how to take care of my own responsibilities with kids to think about.

i think maybe if your bf didn't have you to depend on to do what he should be doing for himself, he might be more apt to do it himself.

i think it might be a good idea for you to seriously consider your motives for taking care of his issues, if you are doing it expecting something or a specific reaction from him, you may.may not be in for disappointment. now if you are doing this out of the goodness of heart and is not expecting anything, then thats a different story.

regardless of your reasons, i think maybe you are kind of standing in the way of him really seeing how badly his addiction is effecting his life. i doubt if he can really see how his addiction is effecting you emotionally or financially. jmho.

i do agree that maybe in time, he will eventually contact you. in rehab, they strongly encourage the a to focus on themselves and what they need to do to get their lives on track.

i think maybe its time for you to focus more on you and allow him to do the same. you are in my prayers.