Thread: I don't drink
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sunset2000
Sober Date 12/21/09

I am single and looking to date again (even though I'm not supposed to) but it's who I am and it's the reality of my situation. Sober sex, I can tell you, is amazing with the right person and just plain bland, or icky, with the wrong person (not unlike drunk sex). The two major benefits are that you go in to it with a clear head, so you don't regret it or feel ashamed afterward, and when it's really good, you remember every moment!

At just over a month sober I am already looking at men differently. Partially because I'm sober and feeling great about myself and partially because my last boyfriend was amazing and really raised the bar.

It's sad to admit this but in the past when filling out online dating profiles I would always list myself as a "social drinker" as to not tip anyone off to how much I really drank. The truthful answer lied inside the little box that said "Drink everyday", but that kind of honesty is unattractive in these situations.

The more embarrassing part, however, was when I would do searches for compatible dates. I would actually ELIMINATE anyone who said they didn't drink at all. Can you imaging that! Sickness loves sickness I suppose and I had convinced myself I needed a partner in crime.

I haven't re-joined any dating sites yet, as I'm not actively pursuing dating that aggressively at this time, but it's coming soon and now I will be happy to check the box of a potential date that says, "Doesn't drink", and it will match my own box. This, I'm convinced, will open up my dating life to a whole new world of possibilities and I'm really excited about it.

Having said all that, I am taking everything really slow and not rushing in to anything serious, as I've really come to understand the power of being friends first. Good luck to all the other single people out there. Finding someone to share our lives with can be the greatest gift ever, but if we're not ready, and if we don't truly love who we are, we will muck it up, every time.