View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RacerX

Hi Joe,

Four years ago, I spent 30 days in AA totally sober. My body felt great! The problem - I spent the whole time trying to figure out why I can't drink like my wife can, how could I get to this point at such an early age, what could I do to continue drinking but control it.....I ended up dropping out.

In short, that could have been my rock bottom and I could have started the climb up recovery. Instead, I decided to make it just another ledge downward.

Here I am, four years later, having to be on meds to prevent severe withdrawal symptoms (which wouldn't have been needed 4 years prior), and God only knows how many DWI's I should have had and how many people I love and care about should have walked away from me.

I've read many, many answers to your questions. To me, the easiest answer is, "It is what it is." I'm sick, I need to get better, this place and AA are what I have to have to recover. Regardless of why I can't drink like others, the important thing is to just know that I can't and move on to an incredible life.

Wish you all the best, my friend. Day 2 here so please do the same for me.

RacerX