View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
coffeedrinker

Originally Posted by blui View Post

i've been reading a lot of things about studies on suboxone & depression as well as people's experiences with it. supposedly, it has a ceiling and he can't get high off it -- maybe that would be a good compromise if he qualified to receive it.
From what I have heard you talking about, it sounds like you are onto something here, with regard to your son. He hasn't hit the street looking for the balm to soothe his ache, he doesn't display typical "addict" behaviors.

The thing about suboxone, is (I believe) that what you're talking about is a treatment in response to opiate addiction. Yes there are doctors to prescribe this, and yes, for some people with a dopamine deficiency, it helps a great deal. But I'm not sure if we're at the point where we - as a medical protocol - use suboxone for treatment of depression.
I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH, have never checked out this aspect of using suboxone. I would continue to look at this track. And that does mean a second, or third or forth (this is not mainstream) opinion.

About his hitting bottom --
again, in my opinion, from what you have described, this isn't something that is coming any time soon. That whole thing happens after they have been out of control, destroying relationships and the whole nine yards, for some time.

Once again, I think that doing nothing will lead him to eventually seek out that which will help him feel better. It is what we, as humans tend to do. It is a response to a basic need, not all drug abuse is about partying, or getting away from our feelings, although the "feelings" part def. plays into the reasons for the abuse. Does that make sense?