Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Sunset -

As everyone else has said, this is very normal - yet still hard for all of us in sobriety.

The key here is to work on a program of recovery, not just abstinence.

Abstinence is not drinking and being unhappy about it.
Recovery is not drinking and feeling good about it.

As we get sober, all our problems (that we were covering up with alcohol) are still there. As Dee said, it just now gives us the best chance of dealing with them.

I too found that I let my life stagnate. I am paying the price for it now, but every day is getting a little bit better than the last. I wouldn't pick up a drink now even if you told me you would get me back to my place before I stagnated - because back then I was really unhappy. I was doing well by some measures, but I wanted to control everything in my life and when I couldn't (which was often), I got really stressed and down on myself.

Today, I have bad days, but I have learned some tools to cope with that. I know that life is a winding path that will have setbacks. I also am learning what true friends are now, the importance of family, and I am learning how to be good to myself.

By being sober, I was able to make plans that were grounded in reality and not just a "hope". With a few more weeks/months of sobriety, I bet you will begin creating plans that will begin the process of getting off your bottom. You have a lot of life left and so try not to dwell on the past too much. There are ways of starting fresh financially, and so you might investigate whether any of those options can help you. It sucks, I know, but there is little you can do about the past. All you can do is to focus on being happy today and not drinking. And, I have learned a lot from my past, so this will help me in the future.

My recovery plan includes AA + SR + helping other alcoholics. It has worked for me so far and I hope you find peace with yourself. You are not alone.

Take care, NewMe