View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

There is nothing weak about admitting that one is an alcoholic. In fact it is the strongest thing you can possibly do IMO. I can only speak for myself but alcohol was the love of my life!! I loved booze... she was my best friend. But she would destroy me and was destroying me. When I finally had been beaten down sufficiently so I felt enough mental/emotional pain for me to get my moment of clarity I knew what I had to do. I knew I was not like most others when it came to me and drinking. I am an alcoholic and I cannot do it my own. Like I said before booze is stronger than I will ever be. Once I admitted the first step ie- That I am totally powerless over booze and that with it my life is totally unmanageable, I stood I chance of not drinking "just for today". Then I could work on my recovery.

To say goodbye to someone who you love with all your heart is not easy to do. It is so much weaker to just continue to stay in the same rut... I guess that is why most people never give it up... because it takes immense courage and strength to give up your best mate.

I do not view myself as a victim anymore, never really did tbh... far from it!! That is the difference between an active/dry alcoholic and a recovering alcoholic. Recovery has changed my whole attitute. I think completely different about things since I have been in recovery than i used to when still drinking.

Embrace recovery with open arms and you'll be just fine. Follow suggestions by others who have been there and you'll do alright. Once you are feeling fairly solid in your recovery you can start to develop slight variations on the main themes. You can still be unique but you have to accept the main, crucial point. Acceptance is key to all of this recovery. Without acceptance you will drink again.

All The Best