Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
The only people who can possibly understand an alcoholic is another alcoholic. No medical professor or psychologist or genius can possibly understand alcoholism. Only someone who has been there themselves and knows the score and has then found the solution knows the answer to solving this crippling condition that will kill you and take every ounce of self-respect and dignity you have with it.
I ain't a "problem drinker" I'm an alcoholic. Two entirely separate entities. As far away as you can get from one another. I can only speak for myself but I suspect many here would also hold a similar viewpoint.

When I had finally got beaten down sufficiently to the point where I would finally live in the solution and not in the problem I stood a chance of sobriety. 'Recovery' from alcoholism is so much more than merely stopping drinking. Thats the easy part, you have to learn to totally change your outlook/psyche and take on the world and your role within it and realise that for an alcoholic to take a drink means total and utter despair, chaos and ultimately death. The only path for an alcoholic who refusues to ackowledge total sobriety and that it's themselves who is the problem is death. prison or mental institution. Thats the reality.

Ask yourself this simple question... Is your currently held "standpoint" on all of this gonna keep you drinking? If so then maybe alcohol is more cunning, baffling and powerful than you give it credit for.