Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
daphne

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
I quit because I had to, to keep my job.

I am happy and comfortable in my own skin, have no burning active resentments and look forward to the future.... because I've recovered.

Two entirely separate things.... for me that is. Non alcoholics can just quit if they have to and walk away... no big deal..... alcoholics have some work to do after putting down the bottle. I have done some work... yes, the 12 steps .

Do I have a passing wistful thought about having a drink at dinner or a cold beer on a hot day?... of course!!... do those passing thoughts ruin my day or even the moment... no they don't.

My wife? It's been an adjustment, of course... God love her... what I put her through... And yes, at first it was very hard... nights by the fire with the music..... or when I first got back from rehab and I was still white knuckling it and I'd hear the corkscrew getting taking out of the drawer...

Now I have my herbal tea, she her white wine and we watch late night on the TV, together.... and nights by the fire, yes, we still have those

Mark
Its great you have the support from your partner . I know its about personal change but it so involves those close to you.
I know what you mean about sorting out the underlying stuff. Suppose my view was you tackle the reasons first and then there will be no need/desire to drink. What lot of people say on here tackle the drink (symptom) first and then work on causes.