Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Anybody have any practical tips on cutting down or giving up without going down the AA route?
Hi Daphne

I could probably list at least 100 different ways to cut down on drinking as I was an expert at it!! I always had a different plan each week but unfortunately they all failed.

That said, when I gave up drinking this last week at the age of 41 I was drinking less and less frequently than I did when I was 19. Many times I justified my drinking "well at least I am not as bad as the old days" when I used to drink 6 or 7 pints of 5% lager in the pub, 7 nights a week, every week (I'm female).

But in those days it didn't bother me. I was young, having a laugh, hangovers were easy then. It doesn't matter how much less I have been drinking in the latter years - it matters how it has affected my health physically and how much it bothered me mentally. By that point it was quite literally killing me.

It's great that you have curbed your intake this week and long may it continue but I think if you are honest with yourself, you know in your heart at some point whether it be next week or next month, your intake will rise again because you don't have control over it. Anyone who had control wouldn't need to ask for tips on how to cut back, would they? Take care.