Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Untoxicated
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I think alcohol is a huge part of my identity. How I see myself , probably because I started drinking at 14 ,a stage when your identity is forming.
I don't think alcohol is part of who you are rather who you wish you could be while intoxicated (otherwise you wouldn't need the alcohol). Most everyone I know, alcoholic or not, are King and Queen Sheet once they get some spirits in them.

The kind of people who don't drink are not my type. They are uptight boring and cannot let themselves go. They have issues to hide which they fear may come out when drunk. YES i know its all defensive stereotyping I am doing to disaaociate myself from non drinkers!!!
At least you recognize the rationalization, kudos to you! How do you know the kind of people who don't drink aren't your type? Do they make you uncomfortable with their comfort level of not drinking without fear of looking like a social leper? I guess my point is that we often fear what we don't understand. Those teetotalers that you speak of may be the very people you would have partied with in the past, but now they are in recovery and have found a life without alcohol to be even more rewarding than the drink itself.

I hope all is well, it sounds like you're making progress. The great thing about recovery is that no one can tell you what you "are" (they can certainly give some windy opinions LOL - I've been downwind of quite a few) but in the end only you can decide what you "are" and what needs to be done.

Glad you're here and yes this site can be addicting - that's what happens when you fill a site with caring and sharing people.