Thread: advice PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
vegibean

daphne, I have a friend who is presently laying in a hospice because he is terminal with liver failure. Sad thing is that he was in the hospital to a prior re-admission and when I went to see him he told me "Caitlin, when a doctor tells me my drinking is going to kill me, I'm done!" I believe him. I've known the guy for almost 20 years.

Two days after being released from the hospital he was re-admitted and this time the poisons had gone and spread through out his body. He's had numerous blood transfusions, they have drained access liquids from his body and have done all they can. So sad as I know he could have done this and he's not getting a second chance. He also has a 12 year old son. He's a good friend and it's very sad to witness this all happening. People are going to miss him terribly and this IS NOT how he wanted to die.

This disease of alcoholism and addiction is absolutely a killer. If it doesn't get us health-wise, it can get us in so many other ways.

I'm lucky to be here as much alcohol as I drank and I had to hit a real bottom to get where I am today. I'm so glad it hasn't cost me my life as I also have two BEAUTIFUL sons that are worth getting up everyday and doing what I have to do to be the mother and human being I really want to be AND for them to be proud of and be able to say PROUDLY, "that's my mom!"

daphne, I want nothing more than the same for you or any other person that comes to this board and you have some real serious health issues that I pray you won't ignore.

SR is a great site, you'll have tons of support here and I'm sure more stories and experiences that others will share. My very best to you!!