Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
How do you stay strong once you start making good solid decisions, when your past mistakes keep getting thrown in your face?
I have several family members who dredge up my past acts, even though I've done my best to make amends for them. I can't do anything about it other than limit my contact with them. I've forgiven me, and if they don't want to forgive me, I can't make them. I've paid my penance. I can't change the past, and I surely won't serve a life sentence because they think I should.

The former friends/acquaintances who hold grudges are "former" for a reason. I don't expect that they'll forget my past acts, but I do know that to hold on to them is indicative of a miserable existence -- and unless miserable people are asking for my help to change, I don't stick around and give them a target.

So...to answer your question, I acknowledge my past ("made a searching and fearless moral inventory"), try to make good on my bad decisions and harmful/hurtful actions ("made direct amends to such people except when to do so would injure them or others") and move on, living the best I can, owning up when I'm wrong (as I so often am!) and don't drink, no matter what. Anyone who continues to have a problem with me after that -- has a problem. Not me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah