View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

Well, let me join the club then, for me, it always were binges, most times on the weekends, and not on all the weekends. I was a social binge drinker for most of the time.

Right from the start, at my first contact with alcohol as a teenager, I had a higher tolerance than other people. Argh, ther were even times where I took pride in the fact that as a girl, I could drink most guys under the table,and still seem to be relatively coherent. Many people didn't even realize how much I was drinking.

For some time, I could go for extended periods of time with no alcohol at all, but if I'm honest to myself, deep down I already knew that there was something "off" about my drinking patterns. But the problem is, over time things tend to get worse for manybinge drinkers, and that's exactly what happened:

Towards the end of my drinking career, it were more like 3 nightly binges a week, and quantities like 8-15 alcohol units. I drank alone, at home, at that point and was depressed, full of anxiety and remorse and self depreciation.

I now knew I had a problem and the only way to get better was to quit consuming alcohol alltogether and to adress the underlying issues that I was numbing out trough drinking.