View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

Maybe addictions differ? Most opinions here are from people who are addicted to alcohol. I don't remember NA having such a strong obsession with days. The standard 30, 60, and 90, but I've seen people who didn't really pay attention to their time. They were just happy to be clean. It might be totally individual too, rather than differing based on what were addicted to. There are more than drugs and alcohol to be addicted to. Some good, some bad, and some that can be all bad if we go to far. I know my boyfriend has a car habit to be rivaled by very few in this country, but he never misses a bill or a day at work. And he never lies about what he spends on his cars and car parts. I'd say it's more than a hobby, but not a full blown addiction. I had the same thing with cars, before crack, but didn't lie about how much I spent. I did miss mandatory overtime at work, family functions, and even was late on a couple bills due to my racing obsession. Drag racing came above all else, on the weekends. And while it does show we can get obsessed or addicted to many different things, I'd RATHER be obsessed with NHRA than CRACK. LOL..
Though I have to be honest. Both of them are expensive habits. VERY expensive. The nicer difference is drag racing, at a sanctioned track, is VERY legal! And a lot more fun. The rush lasts longer and I always drag raced at tracks with a LOT of friends! Made new friends at different tracks. Drag racing never had to be hidden and it cannot be done alone.
Anyway, what a nice thread to happen upon as I celebrate my 11th month of being free from crack cocaine! I do count, by the month. I wouldn't say I am obsessed with it. I don't think about it constantly. I do write about it when the date comes by. And I do celebrate it with gusto. I know I do take one day at a time, but I am at the point where I might be a bit obsessive over the next month as I count down to a full year! I cannot believe how time has flown by! At first it seemed like 30 days was forever. 60 and 90 days too. I didn't think I'd make it.. But wow.. I am excited about the time now. It's really just so neat that 1 year is coming up.
I know I will make it. I am so happy to be free! Maybe the time won't mean so much after one year, or it may mean even more. I spent two years on crack and almost fell all the way down the rabbit hole. I wasted two years. So I imagine, knowing me, I will celebrate two years of freedom, and from there, well... We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
I'd say, if you feel you are being obsessive about counting the days, you can work to change yourself. Or not. Maybe enjoy being obsessed with how many days you are free from your addiction. Maybe you can turn it into something positive for yourself. Buying things will clutter your house, but maybe donate a couple bucks to a worthy cause, find an arcade and play some games, or get a nice ice cream/soda/junk food treat (pretzel or cookie) from your favorite bakery... Nothing you cannot walk off later.