Thread: Detox @ Home?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nevertheless

I have been wanting to bring this up since I joined this forum, but I was afraid to. There are two sides to this coin.
I quit drinking a few weeks before joining this forum, and I'm kind of glad I did.
If I would have come on here and talked about thinking about it, and heard all the people saying see a doctor or go to the ER. I believe my alcoholic mind would use this as an excuse. (I can't quit I have to go see a doctor, or this might be dangerous) (although I had quit a few weeks at a time in the past), but I still would have used this as an excuse.
But I think there is a strong possibility I wouldn't have quit just because of that, and I really wonder haw many people have put off quitting. Saying (oh, I can't quit now, I have to see a doctor). We alcoholics use every excuse in the book whether we realize it or not. I'm sure men are worse than women about this, but I believe it's true.
I also know the danger of detoxing is very real, and I'm not trying to say it isn't.
I guess my point is. Alcoholism kills or handicaps also, and when someone decides to quit. There might be a small window of opportunity that gets slammed shut because subconsciously there is an excuse to put it off.

I am not trying to upset the apple cart. But like I said, there are to sides to this coin.
Fred