View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LadySlur

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
I attempted a lot of things to quit, moderate or at least decrease the consequences of my drinking. I was on antabuse for awhile. I did therapy. I studied religion. I had several geographical and relationship cures I was sure would work. I collected a whole library of self-help books. You name it, I tried it.
Same here. I've read tons of books and tried Antabuse, Naltrexone and Campral.

I quoted from your post in order to ask: in 90 days, did you drink? In 90 days, did you take all 12 steps and begin practicing each of them in your daily life? In 90 days, did you take all 12 steps consecutively in complete abstinence?
It was a long time ago. I didn't drink, had a sponsor, studied the materials and worked the steps as best I could. I believed that the program would work if I only tried hard enough, but it really wasn't a very good fit for me. It reminded me of church with all the talk about God and miracles and prayer and such. My desire to drink never waned and I didn't find the AA lifestyle very appealing. I went back for a while after I relapsed, but eventually decided that I didn't want to be one of those people who constantly relapses and talks about it at meetings, because I met lots and lots of those people and they made everyone sad.

I'm checking out the link that Dee provided and am going to hang around here awhile, but right now I'm not considering AA again.

Thanks again you guys for the thoughtful responses. They were all helpful.