View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TigerLili

Welcome to SR. Your story could be mine, except for the arrests. How much do you want to stop drinking? Have you had enough?

How long did you have counselling? I started not long after I started AA and I see her weekly. When you were in AA, did you have a sponsor, go to meetings and work the steps? For me AA has been the answer, even though I am not thrilled about being there, in fact some days I hate it but it's the only thing that has been successful in getting me even one day sober. I'm 14 months now. I've made a commitment to myself to not pick up a drink today, no matter what. No matter how bad I feel, no matter how depressed I am, not matter what happens. I got the the point where I was desperate to stop. I was absolutely ready and prepared to do whatever it took. Maybe you're not at that place yet? I also realised that nothing outside of me was going to magically make me better. I had to put in the work and no one except ME could stop me picking up a drink.

I know people who have used the Rational Recovery programme successfully, and a lot of people seem to stay sober by posting here at SR too. Stick around!