Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Calluna

Well, thanks for the advice, but it's not quite as simple as 'when it's over it's over' - we've agreed this is a temporary break that neither of us wants to be permanent. Which is obviously no guarantee that we'll get back together (or that either/both of us will want to, after some time's passed), but it does put me (and him, although he's his business) in a slightly different position to the one we'd be in after a more conclusive breakup. We've agreed to have a conversation about getting back together; I don't want to go into that conversation without being fully mentally armed about what I need from him, if that makes sense!

The situation now's a little weird. I suggested we keep in touch by email from time to time, which quickly turned to him sending me five or six emails a day (nothing mean, just a hell of a lot of chattiness), photos of him, etc. I've backed way off on that because it was hurting my head...

And I'm not interested in fixing him or making him better, trust me. But I agree it's good advice to remind people of. I learnt the hard way many, many years ago (first boyfriend, I was 18 and stupid...) that you can't fix other people, and trying will only hurt you. Wish I could go back in time and let myself know that back then!