Thread: I need to stop
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
honeyTrappe

Awesome to have 3 days sober, good on you and well done!

I related to your story too, the progression from weekend binge drinking in my teens to drinking more and more frequently as life went on. I got 5 weeks sobriety through AA at one point then decided I would "just be careful" and manage my drinking better.

I noticed that when I went for 3 or 4 days without a drink I would hit it way too hard, drink too fast, get TOO drunk and really ruin my night (and other peoples). So to manage this better I decided to drink more often to keep it in my system!! I would have a few beers or wines every day, then I could drink steady on the big nights and not totally obliterate myself ... it worked ... for a while! The few glasses quickly became a bottle, half dozen became dozen, then I could drink a bottle of wine and feel nothing ... became 2 bottles. So basically I was getting drunk 3, 4 sometimes 5 times a week in the end. On and on and on, for weeks, months, years, I drank like this. Very sick with hangovers all. the. time. As soon as I felt well enough I drank, sometimes I drank on still feeling sick ... was ok after the first 3 or 4 drinks. It wasn't living ... but I don't have to tell you that.

I went back to AA after crying out silently in my soul for help one night. I didn't want to go back to AA, I remembered the first time round being misery ... basically because I had white-knuckled on will-power alone for those 5 weeks I was sober. This time was different. I knew I was powerless. I knew I couldn't do it. I had to rely on something else, something bigger than me. I surrendered. I started going regularly to meetings. To my suprise I stayed sober!! A week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks ... how was this working?? Because I actually felt ok ... it was the craziest thing!!

Now I'm 2 1/2 years sober and it has just flown by. Been an amazing journey so far, and I love it!!

Please don't sit around wondering what to do and how to fill in your time. You will drink again unless you take some serious action towards staying sober. It takes more than just a decision to stop, although this is a fantastic place to start. There is so much support and help out there, please pick up the phone today and talk to someone and get the ball rolling. Set a goal to do that one thing towards sobriety today.

Better still - look up where the local aa meetings are, (there's probably a website) and get straight into the steps ... you WILL get sober, but even more than that ... you'll discover life again, and the joy of living. Sobriety is so much more than just not having to drink constantly, but not having to drink is pretty damn awesome in itself!! If that was as good as it got I'd still be pretty happy with that. :-)

Take care