View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
So Dee, if I stay in today, how can I get things done for next week? like I have an interview coming up I need to prepare for - do I just hope it goes well or is the think about today thing only related to the drinking part?
Hi, lionheart. I'm not Dee (he's a one and only), but I'd like to add my two cents and answer your question -- at least in how I relate to it.

This morning, I've mapped out the next week -- two out-of-town trips for my husband, one for me, an adult child catching a flight home, a dinner reservation, not to mention the work I have to do to restructure a class I'm teaching starting January 6th. Lots of planning, so how do I stay in today?

When we talk about "one day at a time" or staying in the moment, it has more to do with our expectations attached to our plans -- expectations which bring with them all sorts of emotions. For example, if I start anticipating how I'm going to feel Wednesday when my oldest leaves, I'll miss another three full days of having him home. It's similar when dealing with past actions. Even though my head knows I can't change what's already happened, my heart will often try to convince me it's not true. Or I can romanticize a past time to the point that my heart wants to turn away from the reality of today -- and I miss what's in front of me.

I can plan, and I can remember, but I can only live right here, right now.

Does that make more sense?

Peace & Love,
Sugah