Old 12-27-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
alanonicnov2008

Wow Holly, I'm so sorry you are going through this.

First of all, your instincts that he has not really found the spiritual solution yet are correct. This story is rather common for alcoholics in their first year or two of recovery. If ego is not in check (and if they are perhaps not honest with themselves, or their sponsor) relationships in the first year of recovery are kind of like, well, imagine a 6 year old who has been sick in bed for a year and they finally get well, what is the first thing they do? All the unhealthy things they probably shouldn't -- eat candy, run around outside in the cold -- etc. Unfettered by the substance abuse, early recovery folks can be a bit out of hand, and out of line.

Second, do not kick yourself or beat yourself up over staying in it. You did not see what was coming, and you could not know that he would lose sight of his behavior in the way that he has. The best thing you can do for yourself is keep the distance and focus on yourself. You have the healing to do now.

I am a member of Al Anon and the story you tell here is a common one for spouses and partners of those in recovery. There is a sophomoric attitude that can take over the recovering alcoholic. Even Lois herself fell victim to Bill's antics and suffered a lot throughout their relationship -- I would argue that she was a martyr and perhaps in modern times would have been much better off without him. Ultimately a half recovered alcoholic is not really much better than a practicing one, and if he is not willing to take his recovery seriously you have dodged a bullet indeed.

The poor boundaries with the opposite sex issue is a sign of love-addiction and it's also a sign that substance abuse is not his only problem. A lot of alcoholics who have poor sponsors or are not honest with their sponsors will act out on these behaviors. It is not a professional program and there are a lot of sick people in AA so in some ways it is a crap shoot what you end up with.

I am praying for you and I hope that you find the peace you need to make it through the holidays with the knowledge that you will be better off without the acting-out diseased person in your life. Be angry, cry, call your friends, use this board, tell your story as much as you need to. Get distance, and consider Al Anon -- you will get a lot of support there.