Thread: unmanageable?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
basIam

Originally Posted by Stereosteveo View Post
Yeah

This is indeed how the unmanageability manifests itself.

p. 52
"We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a prey to misery and depression, we couldn't make a living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of fear, we were unhappy, we couldn't seem to be of real help to other people."
My sponsor had me read this (and now I do the same with my pledges) in the first person present-tense -
"I am having trouble with personal relationships, I can't control my emotional natures, I am a prey to misery and depression, I can't make a living, I have a feeling of uselessness, I am full of fear, I am unhappy, I cant seem to be of real help to other people."
I could barely get through it.

It dawned on me that when my parents would ask me "How are you doing" my response would be "what are you accusing me of?!?"

If my boss called me to his office for a consultation, by the time I walked 25 ft to his office, I had run through my mind every reason he may be firing me and would be prepared to submit my resignation.

I finally understood that my life was unmanageble.

And then my sponsor posed the question, "How much longer can you sit in that hell and not drink? How much longer will you feel that misery before you drink in spite of everything you know about yourself? How much longer can you continue to 'just don't drink'?"

I had no answer. I cried.

What? Was I going to wake up tomorrow and snap my fingers, "Today I choose not to be full of fear! Today I choose to mange my relationships in a healthy manner!" Hah! Yeah right. I didn't have the power to change this feeling inside me. If I did, I would have done it years before.

I finally understood powerlessness. After 10 years of giving lip service to the first step, I got it. I finally knew my most sincere desire to stay stopped would give way to a need for momentary relief. I understood, finally, I was doomed to repeat my endless spiral down.

Only then did he present me with the solution. And I grabbed on and haven't let go.

And everything I was promised has come true.