View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
blackbirdsing

Not all sweets are bad! If you are craving sweets there are lots of ways to get your fix w/ out taking in a bunch of processed sugar.
Foods/sugars that are lower on the glycemic index (that don't require your body to produce as much insulin to process) don't turn to fat as easily and won't give as much of a sugar rush, or the subsequent crash. (which just increases the cravings because your body wants that rush again)
Better sugars are less processed, in or close to their natural state. Cane sugar, molasses, maple syrup, honey, fruit juices that are NOT from concentrate.

As you probably know, some of the worst for this are high fructose corn syrup, white sugar, and sugars derived from rice. The more sugars are processed, the harder they are for your body to deal with.

Emergen-C is one of my fav 'sweets' these days...
Have you ever tried it? The little packets of 'flavored fizzy drink mix" They do have some sugar (fructose) but also 1,000 mg's vitC, minerals (including calcium) and lots of B vitamins. It comes in many flavors, my fav is the cranberry! (it also has 1,000 mg's cranberry powder) Yummy stuff, and great if you're feeling like you're getting sick...

Of course I did also bake tollhouse cookies today