Thread: Irritability
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I can relate to the irritability very much. People, places, and things can all be triggers for my emotions, and usually I take it out on the people that I love the most and that I'm around most. Naturally, that would be my wife and children.

I tend to internalize, and that never works. I need outside help with my issues so that means AA, counseling, and recently I've found blessed relief at church in a men's recovery group. When I'm irritable about something I need to find out what the root of it is. For an example: Usually it's not about something like foil....it's about financial struggles I'm going through or a parenting issue I can't work out.

Day 5? Honestly I'd be focused on staying clean and sober, emotional sobriety is much more difficult and it'll take some time to learn how to use recovery tools to deal with being restless, irritable, and content. You're doing well with diving into a project, good idea. What helps me now is having a spiritual program, using prayer and meditation to find peace and serenity in the eye of the storm.